[HEADS UP]: OpenLDAP+nss_ldap+nss_modules separated patch and more (SoC)

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 24 22:04:23 UTC 2006

Michael Bushkov wrote:

> Well, maybe more compromise solution will be to have OpenLDAP and
> nss_ldap in the base, but to have them turned off by default, so the user
> would need to specify WITH_LDAP and WITH_NSS_LDAP in the make.conf to
> build them.

It isn't requiring the user to build it that I'm worried about. However, I
refuse to continue tilting against this windmill. Given that I'm the only
one who seems to object to this, I withdraw my objection, and
correspondingly reserve the right to wave the "I told you this was a bad
idea" sign if it all blows up down the road.

Meanwhile, I agree with Brooks, if it's in the base, it needs to be on by
default.

> More, if the user don't want to have OpenLDAP built with the base, but
> wants nss_ldap there, he'd have the ability to link nss_ldap against the
> ports.

I would say that this is a minimum requirement, and I am glad that your
thinking has proceeded in this direction.

> And we should also have rewritten nss_ldap in ports (call it
> nss_ldap_bsd, for example).

Why?

Doug