Losing ssh session when doing intensive disk I/O & background fsck with RELENG_6

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 30 13:04:16 PDT 2005

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>> The boot process is trying to configure the dump device before swapon
>> and it fails, but that's not the real problem I report here.
>
> It's not clear that it's a problem at all.  dump devices don't have to
> be pre-existing swap devices.  If you tell your kernel to dump on
> /dev/ar0s1b it should be fine.

At some point someone changed the default setting to "automatically
configure dumping" which resulted in odd warnings during the boot.  I've
trimmed a few, and hope to trim the last few.  Autoconfiguration of dumps
is neat and all, but lots of odd warnings for users isn't really.  It
would be interesting to know if it works though -- the warnings suggest
that dumps aren't found because the dump device isn't autoconfigured until
after dumps are checked for...

Robert N M Watson