[brooks@FreeBSD.ORG: [src] cvs commit: src/etc pccard_ether]

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed Sep 28 16:50:38 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 05:14:17PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> > I've just committed the following change to /etc/pccard_ether.  I think
> > it's the right solution, but I'm concerned it may cause problems with
> > drivers that incorrectly frob the IFF_UP flag themselves.  If so it may
> > be nessicary to revert this change temporarily or at least not MFC it.
>
> This change converts the "I already have an address" check to be a
> "I'm up" which are two different things.  dhclient leaves the
> interface up when it exits, even if it can't get an address.  I think
> that might cause a lot of problems for people.  I originally had this
> test in pccard_ether, but changed it to checking for netmask because
> roving from network to network didn't work without it on my laptop
> with multiple network interfaces.

I don't think dhclient's behavior will have any effect in the normal
case. "pccard_ether <ifn> start" is only called on attach.  It is not
involved in any with the link state transitions caused by roving since
those should not happen until after attach.  The one POLA violation I
can see is that you probably can't manually run pccard_ether's start
mode twice without performing a stop first.

-- Brooks