serial ttys broken?

Ian Dowse iedowse at iedowse.com
Thu Sep 22 19:37:01 PDT 2005

In message <dgp681$o48$1 at sea.gmane.org>, othermark writes:
>I probably should have piped up on -current, but yes, serial console is
>'different' after the recent changes went into the boot loader.
>
>-P  in /boot.config and the following in /etc/make.conf
>
>BOOT_COMCONSOLE_PORT=0x3F8
>BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED=115200
>
>used to be enough for my boxes to work, but now (of course, only after a
>installworld for the bootloader) the following in /boot/loader.conf
>
>console=comconsole
>comconsole_speed=115200
>
>seems to be required for serial console to work.

Does reinstalling boot2 help (e.g. disklabel -B ad0s1)? Previously
both boot2 and loader would independently pick up the BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED
setting and apply it, but after the recent changes the loader will
use the setting from boot2 if a serial console has been selected
(-h or -P).

What wasn't working without the above loader.conf lines BTW? Was
it just the speed that was wrong, or did the kernel not use a
serial console at all?

Ian