serial ttys broken?

Ruslan Ermilov ru at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 21 02:02:09 PDT 2005

JFYI, everyone I've asked (several people now) can easily
reproduce this: when serial console is NOT configured,
getty doesn't work on ttyd0, but it appears to work on
cuad0!  The same holds true for uart(4) instead of sio(4).
Odd.

Also, and I think this is related, resetting console
via TIOCCONS(0) on /dev/console appears to be broken
when serial console is configured.

In my setup, i.e. when booted WITHOUT serial console
configured (no -h in boot2, no console=comconsole in
loader, etc.) but with serial port serving as a
potential console (i.e., hint...flags=0x10), doing the
following blocks:

: hammer# conscontrol
: Configured: consolectl
:  Available: ttyd0,consolectl
:     Muting: off
: hammer# conscontrol add ttyd0
: Configured: ttyd0,consolectl
:  Available: ttyd0,consolectl
:     Muting: off
: hammer# conscontrol set /dev/ttyv1
: Configured: ttyd0,consolectl
:  Available: ttyd0,consolectl
:     Muting: off
: hammer# conscontrol unset
: load: 0.03  cmd: conscontrol 1397 [ttydcd] 0.00u 0.00s 0% 660k
: load: 0.03  cmd: conscontrol 1397 [ttydcd] 0.00u 0.00s 0% 660k
: load: 0.03  cmd: conscontrol 1397 [ttydcd] 0.00u 0.00s 0% 660k
: ^C

Removing ttyd0 from console list leads to a success with
TIOCCONS(0) on /dev/console:

: hammer# conscontrol delete ttyd0
: Configured: consolectl
:  Available: ttyd0,consolectl
:     Muting: off
: hammer# conscontrol unset
: Configured: consolectl
:  Available: ttyd0,consolectl
:     Muting: off

> I won't have time to look at it for the next several weeks
> (unless it happens on my machine and forces me to handle it).

I'm not urging you, but not having getty working over serial
is a bit annoying.  And I'm pretty sure you can easily
reproduce this on any of your machines:

1.  Boot with GENERIC that has sio0 as potential console
    but without serial console.
2.  Try to make getty over ttyd0 working, as in default
    /etc/ttys file.

Can you at least please try and confirm it works for you,
or not?

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov