device entries outside /proc with procfs (for chroot)

Martin Cracauer cracauer at cons.org
Mon Sep 19 13:36:12 PDT 2005

Alexander Leidinger wrote on Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 09:42:39PM +0200:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:08:10 -0400
> Martin Cracauer <cracauer at cons.org> wrote:
>
> > /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base/pkg-message
> >   recommendes:
> > > You may wish to create and populate /compat/linux/dev/ if you plan to
> > > chroot
> > > into your Linux installation.  For example:
> > >
> > >         mkdir /compat/linux/dev
> > >         mknod /compat/linux/dev/null c 2 2
> > >         chmod 666 /compat/linux/dev/null
> >

> > That won't work, as the major and minor device numbers are now a
> > moving target with devfs.
>
> emulators/linux_base is outdated. The current default is linux_base-8
> (still not very decent, but better than 7.x). The correct way to fix
> the old port is to remove it. Unfortunately Trevor isn't very
> responsive since he clashed with me and portmgr (normaly I would list
> myself last, but in this case it's more appropriate to list me
> first)... at least he doesn't response to me.
>
> I'm wondering why you get problems. Don't create a dev directory at all
> and the kernel should fall back to the native one.

This is for chrooted environments which don't fall back.

It seemes that the controlled procfs mounting is the solution.  In my
case I don't chroot for security reasons, just to get the FreeBSD libs
and programs out of the way, so I don't even have to secure the second
mount.

The documentation for this procedure should probably get into the
chroot manpage.

What would be your idea of a proper Linux environment? They move
faster than I can follow :-)

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer at cons.org>   http://www.cons.org/cracauer/