device entries outside /proc with procfs (for chroot)

Mon Sep 19 12:44:02 PDT 2005

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:08:10 -0400
Martin Cracauer <cracauer at cons.org> wrote:

> /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base/pkg-message
>   recommendes:
> > You may wish to create and populate /compat/linux/dev/ if you plan to
> > chroot
> > into your Linux installation.  For example:
> >
> >         mkdir /compat/linux/dev
> >         mknod /compat/linux/dev/null c 2 2
> >         chmod 666 /compat/linux/dev/null
>

> That won't work, as the major and minor device numbers are now a
> moving target with devfs.

emulators/linux_base is outdated. The current default is linux_base-8
(still not very decent, but better than 7.x). The correct way to fix
the old port is to remove it. Unfortunately Trevor isn't very
responsive since he clashed with me and portmgr (normaly I would list
myself last, but in this case it's more appropriate to list me
first)... at least he doesn't response to me.

I'm wondering why you get problems. Don't create a dev directory at all
and the kernel should fall back to the native one.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
           Intel: where Quality is job number 0.9998782345!