6.0-CURRENT SNAP004 hangs on amr (patch)

Joao Barros joao.barros at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 18:19:08 PDT 2005

On 9/11/05, Scott Long <scottl at samsco.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the invesitgative work.  I strenously objected to this change
> when it went in, and this kind of problem is precisely the reason why.
> Turning off device power on the PCI bus willy-nilly is such an
> incredibly bad idea, even if the hope with it is to get a few extra
> minutes of battery life on a laptop.
>
> I worked around this problem with the AAC devices, but I don't know if
> the AMR devices can be worked around the same way.  I've asked Warner in
> private to back out the change.  If he refuses, then I'm afraid that
> you'll need to remember an undocumented workaround, or find another OS.
>
> Scott

It took me more than a week and almost 20 kernel (and some
buildworlds) compilations to get the problem identified and be able to
use a workaround. It will take me much more than that to make me walk
from FreeBSD :)
I can't stress enough my respect for this project and the people who
make it what it is: Thank you!

--
Joao Barros