VIA 6420 SATA150 controller on FreeBSD 6.0

Søren Schmidt sos at FreeBSD.ORG
Thu Sep 8 06:30:33 PDT 2005

On 08/09/2005, at 9:15, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Søren Schmidt <sos at FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
>

>>> FreeBSD support hotplug SATA for this controller?
>>>

>> Well, assisted hotplug using atacontrol to detach/attach the devices.
>> Apparently the VIA chip doesn't have hotplug support build in, or at
>> least its unknown to me how to..
>>

> It appears as though VIA 64XX might be able to do hotplug, at least
> according to the Linux SATA pages - at least they don't claim "does
> not
> support for lack of information from PHY" or something to that extent
> which they do for other controllers.
>
> <http://linux.yyz.us/sata/software-status.html#hotplug>
>
> <http://linux.yyz.us/sata/sata-status.html#via>
>
> I am not sure if someone has actually tried to implement SATA hotplug
> for Linux on VIA chips though, so I'm deliberately writing "it appears
> ... it might", not "it does support...".
>
> Perhaps you can ask the Linux SATA guys where to look or get the
> needed
> specs.

There is no support in Linux either for hotplug on the VIA (just
checked) and I just ran through the (sparse) docs again to no avail.
When I added hotplug for those controllers that support it, I spent
quite some time playing with the VIA chips to get them to interrupt
when there is a PHY "surprise", but alas I didn't succed. Now the
SATA regs shows that there was a change etc, but with the interrupt
thats worth close to nothing...

Søren Schmidt
sos at FreeBSD.org