VIA 6420 SATA150 controller on FreeBSD 6.0

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Sep 8 00:15:59 PDT 2005

Søren Schmidt <sos at FreeBSD.ORG> writes:

>> FreeBSD support hotplug SATA for this controller?
>
> Well, assisted hotplug using atacontrol to detach/attach the devices.
> Apparently the VIA chip doesn't have hotplug support build in, or at
> least its unknown to me how to..

It appears as though VIA 64XX might be able to do hotplug, at least
according to the Linux SATA pages - at least they don't claim "does not
support for lack of information from PHY" or something to that extent
which they do for other controllers.

<http://linux.yyz.us/sata/software-status.html#hotplug>

<http://linux.yyz.us/sata/sata-status.html#via>

I am not sure if someone has actually tried to implement SATA hotplug
for Linux on VIA chips though, so I'm deliberately writing "it appears
... it might", not "it does support...".

Perhaps you can ask the Linux SATA guys where to look or get the needed
specs.

--
Matthias Andree