Build just one module (was Re: [Fwd: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/acpica acpi_cmbat.c])

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Thu Nov 24 18:47:58 GMT 2005

Mathieu Prevot wrote:

> Le 23 nov. 05 à 15:48, Doug Poland a écrit :
>
>> On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 11:49:20AM +0100, Mathieu Prevot wrote:
>>

>>> Le 23 nov. 05 ? 03:49, Doug Poland a ?crit :

>>> You should think man 'subject', Unix for the impatient or google and
>>> find things like:
>>>
>>> patch -i patchfile filetopatch
>>> patch<patchfile
>>>
>> Thank you, that part is fairly obvious.  What I'm unsure of is  where in
>> the source tree do I apply that patch from, and, must I to rebuild
>> world, or just the affected part of sys/dev.
>

> Try and see for the patch. 'patch -i patchfile filetopatch' works  from
> anywhere.
> I don't think you need to rebuild world. I think you can just build
> acpi module but I don't know how.
> You may glance at /usr/src/Makefile* ...

Look at the path in the patch start.  If it's "sys/dev", then patch from
your src dir.  If it's "src/sys/dev", patch from above the src dir.  If
it's just "file.c", then you have to find file.c and patch from there
(but few people generate diffs this way, it's bad form).

For acpi, then just:
cd /sys/modules/acpi/acpi && make && cp acpi.ko /

Then at the loader prompt:
load /acpi.ko

You don't want to use "make install", otherwise you overwrite your known
good acpi.ko

--
Nate