hostap recently broken

Michal Mertl mime at traveller.cz
Tue Jul 26 07:52:02 GMT 2005

Sam Leffler wrote:
> Michal Mertl wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've just found out that something very recently broke hostap on FreeBSD
> > CURRENT. The client associates and gets the MAC address of the AP. When
> > I run tcpdump on the AP I see the pings from the client getting in but
> > the AP doesn't reply. The ARP protocol works but nothing else does.
> >
> > Source checked on 2005-07-22 16:00 UTC works fine.
> >
> > The AP card is atheros but just reverting the last changes to the driver
> > doesn't help.
>
> I just tried with CURRENT (from last night).  5212 card setup with TKIP
> for PTK and GTK.  ap operating in 11g.  Powerbook running Tiger
> associated and operated fine.  29Mb/s for upstream tcp netperf (sta and
> ap in close proximity--rssi 41).
>
> I appreciate you testing stuff but please try to diagnose your problems
> a bit harder and then provide more useful info like the h/w revs and the
> exact steps you use to setup a non-working system.

Sorry, I had the exact same HW setup as before which I described in my
email about the problem with bridging.

I've got several Atheros 5212 cards (mac 5.9 phy 4.3 radio 3.6) and also
IPW notebook all running CURRENT, the notebook and the client several
days old (from before 2005-07-22 16:00 UTC).

The most basic setup - 'ifconfig ath0 192.168.0.1 mediaopt hostap ssid
aaa' on the AP and 'ifconfig ath0 192.168.0.2 ssid aaa' worked like a
charm before the date and not after. With the newer kernel on the AP the
cards associate and as I've just found I can communicate between the
stations on the AP. Ping to the AP doesn't work even when I get the MAC
address of the AP via ARP. Adhoc connection works.

Michal