HEADS-UP: New shared library versions coming soon

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Thu Jul 21 13:30:20 GMT 2005

To help with making the compat library support a bit less of a headache
we have decided to bump the shared library version number for all of the
shared libraries that make up the base system as part of doing a new
release branch.  This means that once we reach a "steady state" roughly
a month after a new release branch is created we will bump the shared
library version numbers up by one in HEAD.  Using the *next* release
branch as an example, that means about a month after RELENG_7 gets
created we will bump the shared library versions up by one in HEAD.
That way as time goes on from that point packages-8-current (what
portmgr builds to support HEAD) will have what we expect the shared
library versions to be for RELENG_8.  And we hope waiting a month after
the branch occurs before doing the version bump we will be less
disruptive to people developing and testing the new release.

Since support for this is new, what needs to be done now will be worse
than what we will be doing down the road.  Tomorrow we will bump the
shared library version numbers in both RELENG_6 and HEAD by one so that
they differ from the version numbers currently in RELENG_5.  Then some
time a bit after the 6.0-RELEASE is finished we will bump all the
version numbers in HEAD again.

It will take a while for the fallout from this version bump to
propagate.  People who cvsup/rebuild existing systems should not be
impacted immediately - you will still have the older library versions
present on your systems.  However it will take time for the pre-built
packages provided by the portmgr folks to be rebuilt, loaded onto the
FTP servers, and propagate out to the mirrors.

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |