[PLEASE TEST] Many improvements to Synaptics support in psm(4)

Philip Paeps philip at freebsd.org
Mon Jan 10 05:15:33 PST 2005

I just committed a patch to -current which greatly improves support in psm(4)
for Synaptics touchpads.  Owners of these gadgets are encouraged to test this.
If it turns out to work well, I'll enable support by default.

For now, to get the new behaviour, you need to set hw.psm.synaptics_support=1
in /boot/loader.conf.

Please also fiddle with the stickiness sysctls.  The quest for finding perfect
values is still on...

Thanks!

 - Philip

----- Forwarded message from Philip Paeps <philip at FreeBSD.org> -----

philip      2005-01-10 13:05:58 UTC

  FreeBSD src repository

  Modified files:
    sys/isa              psm.c
  Log:
  Make life for owners of Synaptics Touchpads more pleasant :-)

   o Implement a shiny new algorithm to keep track of finger movement at
     slow speeds.  This dramatically reduces the level of questionable
     language from users trying to resize windows.

   o Properly catch the many extra buttons and dials which manufacturers
     are known to screw onto Synaptics touchpad controllers.  Currently,
     up to seven buttons are known to work, more should work too.

   o Add a number of sysctls allowing one to tune the driver to taste in
     a simple way:

       # Should the extra buttons act as axes or as middle button
       hw.psm.synaptics.directional_scrolls

       # These control the 'stickiness' at low speeds
       hw.psm.synaptics.low_speed_threshold
       hw.psm.synaptics.min_movement
       hw.psm.synaptics.squelch_level

  PR:             kern/75725
  Submitted by:   Jason Kuri <jay at oneway.com>
  MFC after:      1 month

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.84      +207 -11   src/sys/isa/psm.c

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Philip Paeps                                    Please don't Cc me, I am
philip at freebsd.org                               subscribed to the list.

  BOFH Excuse #438:
    sticky bit has come loose