"Native" journaling file systems?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Mon Dec 19 16:32:15 PST 2005

On Dec 19, 2005, at 7:19 , petre at kgb.ro wrote:

>> On 2005-12-19 10:28, Justin Smith <jsmith at drexel.edu> wrote:
>> I've used several journaling file systems in Linux and like the
>> Reiser
>> FS except for one MAJOR drawback: When something goes wrong,
>> reiser-fsck
>> absolutely sucks at repairing things (Hans Reiser freely admits
>> that but
>> says it's never needed because nothing ever goes wrong).
>
> hmmm, reiserfsck --rebuild-tree solved my problems twice; or was it
> pure
> luck ? ;)

There are versions of reiserfs that are fairly stable (many of them
in SuSE Linux releases, with a boatload of patches to make them
stable) --- but I don't like what I've been hearing and seeing with
the new version, and we've scrapped it in our production Linux
environment in favor of ext3 (temporarily) and xfs (in progress).

(No production FreeBSD:  we absolutely *need* AFS clients, and none
of us is enough of a kernel-level hacker to make OpenAFS or Arla
sufficiently stable.  *grumble*)

--
brandon s. allbery     [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]
allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator  [openafs,heimdal,too many hats]
allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering, carnegie mellon university
KF8NH