cvs commit: src/etc rc rc.shutdown rc.subr src/etc/rc.d localpkg src/sys/sys param.h

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 2 18:16:54 PST 2005

Andrey Chernov wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 05:49:22PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
>> I'm sorry if I wasn't clear before, the only thing port authors need to do
>> for properly functioning rc.d-style scripts is to install them as foo
>> instead of foo.sh. I have attached an untested patch for apache13 that
>> should do the trick, or at least show you what I have in mind.
>
> What you mean by "properly"?

I mean scripts that already run with rc.subr. For example, there was a
problem at one point in the past with scripts that looked mostly like rc.d
scripts, but did not have all the right stuff. That's one of the reasons I
chose the PROVIDE label to grep for new-style scripts.

To put this more plainly, if your script is already running properly with
rc.subr now, it should run just fine within the base rcorder. I'm sure that
there are some edge cases that will cause problems, but those have to be
fixed regardless.

> Do you mean that scripts without .sh runs in
> the subshell and not damage main shell?

Yes, that's what I mean. Once again, sorry I wasn't clear. I've been staring
at this for too long now. :)

> Please look inside files/apache.sh, what it actually does,
> before just simple installing it without .sh.

I should have mentioned in my last message that I did take a quick look at
the script itself, and didn't see anything that should be a problem, but as
I said, this is all untested. When I have a chance, I will install apache on
my scratch box and try it both ways, with the script installed as apache.sh,
and as just apache. However, feel free to test it yourself first if you have
the time. :)

Doug