Three years with -current

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Thu Dec 1 07:01:58 GMT 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 07:20:15AM +0100 I heard the voice of
Thierry Herbelot, and lo! it spake thus:

> between FreeBSD 5.0-RC #0: Thu Dec 12 01:40:32 CET 2002, and FreeBSD
> 7.0-CURRENT #1000: Thu Dec  1 02:20:56 CET 2005, the machine (an old
> SMP BP6 from Abit, with two Celerons) has been running -current.
>
> [...] but there has not been a full installation in three years.

I'm currently on 7.0-CURRENT #0: Sat Oct  1 19:41:00 CDT 2005 on my
workstation (SMP PPro), which I sit in front of and rely heavily on
every day.  It was first installed with -CURRENT in early 1999, when
it was just freshly renamed to 4.0-CURRENT after 3 was branched.
Aside from a few months on RELENG_5, it's always run -CURRENT, and
it's not had a reinstall or eaten itself yet.

That's either a testament to the solidity (with a little care in
choosing when to build, anyway) of even the bleeding edge of FreeBSD,
or a sign that maybe I should think about getting new hardware
sometime   8-}

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net