fontsize and dpi

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Aug 26 05:55:19 GMT 2005

In message: <1977535713.20050825222803 at andric.com>
            Dimitry Andric <dimitry at andric.com> writes:
: On 2005-08-24 at 22:49:58 Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
:
: > Yeah, it seems that GNOME is imitating Windows in this. On Windows XP I
: > get 96 dpi hardcoded, but I can change it to 120 dpi or some custom
: > value. Funny, even Microsoft faces this issue...
:
: A lot of GUI "designers" simply assume fixed font sizes (i.e. in
: pixels), to make layout of dialog boxes etc. much easier.  It's a lot
: harder to make a fully resizable design, that also adopts to different
: font sizes and/or styles.  So if you (like me) have a 22" monitor with
: 1920x1440 resolution, you end up with extremely tiny, almost
: unreadable dialogs in most applications. :(

And to think that 50MHz sparcs were powerful enough to run a toolkit
that I once worked on that did automatic layout so that things would
line up, even when font sizes change on complex forms.  Glad to see
that marketing triumped over technology :-(

Warner