fontsize and dpi (was Re: Beta2: Nice job!)

Dimitry Andric dimitry at andric.com
Thu Aug 25 20:28:09 GMT 2005

On 2005-08-24 at 22:49:58 Panagiotis Astithas wrote:

> Yeah, it seems that GNOME is imitating Windows in this. On Windows XP I
> get 96 dpi hardcoded, but I can change it to 120 dpi or some custom
> value. Funny, even Microsoft faces this issue...

A lot of GUI "designers" simply assume fixed font sizes (i.e. in
pixels), to make layout of dialog boxes etc. much easier.  It's a lot
harder to make a fully resizable design, that also adopts to different
font sizes and/or styles.  So if you (like me) have a 22" monitor with
1920x1440 resolution, you end up with extremely tiny, almost
unreadable dialogs in most applications. :(