Coredump in chkgrp (was Re: unknown coredump !)

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Thu Aug 25 07:50:45 GMT 2005

[Bug report CCed to author of bug]

Nikolay Kalev wrote:
> chkgrp: /etc/group: line 30: missing field(s)
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> Exit 3
>
> so i found the problem in my group file there was a bugy line that i
> added ... i;m not sure if this is normal to coredump when the syntax in
> /etc/group is mistaken ???
>
> the line was : "user:1001:" and it has to be "user:*:1001:"

This bug was added in revision 1.9 of src/usr.sbin/chkgrp/chkgrp.c.  If
a line of the group file has the wrong number of fields, the pointers
f[0], f[1], f[2], and f[3] might point at deadc0de; prior to this revision,
the number of fields was checked first and processing halted if it was
wrong.

I'm busy for the next few days, but if this is still unfixed on Monday I'll
take care of it.

Colin Percival