Beta2: Nice job!

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Mon Aug 22 13:56:47 GMT 2005

pav at FreeBSD writes:

 > Andrew Gallatin p=ED=B9e v po 22. 08. 2005 v 09:23 -0400:
 >
 > > > Try native mozilla/firefox, you will be pleasantly surprised with the
 > > > slicky smoothness of fonts delivered by freetype and libXft.
 > >=20
 > > I'm sorry, I should have mentioned:  Native versins of firefox and
 > > other gnomish things (thunderbird) look just as blurry. Xfce menus
 > > and title bars look bad, etc.  The only fonts which look decent
 > > are the 15-year old X11 fonts that xterm and xemacs use.
 >
 > Ah, so the deal is that you actually don't like the antialiasing
 > smoothness we all love. Hmm.

Maybe it is something wrong with my eyes?

The odd thing is that when I hook my powerbook to my 1600x1200 lcd,
somehow MacOSX makes fonts look decent.  They are still blurry,
but not nearly so bad.

 > www/mozilla port have "Enable Xft font anti-aliasing" option, you could
 > try to toggle this off and try it.

Aha!  setenv GDK_USE_XFT 0 will do the same thing at runtime..  This
seems to improve things quite a bit.

But I just don't see how other people can stand the defaults with
lcd monitors.

Drew