[Patch] Serial ATAPI is not recognized

Søren Schmidt sos at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 12 07:37:18 GMT 2005

On 12/08/2005, at 2:15, Vadim Chekan wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I've bought a SATA dvd burner, Plextor PX-712-SA and found that
> FreeBSD 6 does not recognize it. But freebsd-5 does. After some
> time spent on investigation I found that it needs reset commad be
> issued before get ATAPI_MAGIC_LSB and ATAPI_MAGIC_MSB.
>
> In ata-chipset.c:ata_sata_connect() I put
>     ATA_IDX_OUTB(ch, ATA_ALTSTAT, ATA_A_IDS | ATA_A_RESET);
>     ata_udelay(10000);
> before
>    if ((ATA_IDX_INB(ch, ATA_CYL_LSB) == ATAPI_MAGIC_LSB) &&
>
> and it works now. At least I checked burncd in CDRW mode. It hungs
> or gives error at the end but produces valid CD.

SATA/ATAPI is not supported yet, and the above patch is by far not
enough for all systems to work.
In fact you are just lucky on your system, for the heck of it I tried
it here and my test system lost all its SATA disks :)
Support is in the works and will hit -current when its stable enough
for general usage....

- Søren