Hifn driver in SMP (was Re: GELI - disk encryption GEOM class committed.)

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 8 06:56:53 GMT 2005

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 11:37:02PM -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:
+>
+> Actually, it seems I can easily lock up the box with
+>
+> /usr/bin/openssl aes-128-cbc -in big -k pass | ssh -c aes128-cbc mdtancsa at 127.0.0.1 "cat - >  /home/mdtancsa/targetfile.enc"

I was trying to reproduce it on Dual Xeon (HTT enabled) without any luck.
I even added '-engine cryptodev' to openssl command, so not only ssh/sshd
can use it, but still nothing.
I heard about bugs which exist only on real quad processor machines
(where dual xeon with HTT isn't enough). This could be one of them.

+> Is the hifn driver perhaps not fully smp safe ?

Could be...

Actually, when I was reproducing this lock up, I was able to enter ddb
and you said it locks up hard for you? This could be another issue then.