boot banner project

Mike Edenfield kutulu at kutulu.org
Thu Apr 28 06:41:08 PDT 2005

Toxa wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 03:03:06PM -0400, Mike Edenfield wrote:
>>
>>One possible alternative to an all-out graphics display would be a
>>'prettified' text console.  I'm thinking of what Gentoo and older RedHat
>>systems did (haven't used RH in years, dunno if this still applies)
>>where about 80% of the system log messages are hidden behind a simple
>>task list:
>>
>>Mounting File Systems ... [ok]
>>Starting xl0          ... [ok]
>>
>>etc.  With, of course, the obligatory cyan, magenta, and bright green
>>colors.  While partly eye candy, I find it much easier to deal with than
>

> This is the most stupid idea I've ever head. Please, PLEASE, don't waste
> your time turning FreeBSD into pink lolypop. Is it already
> super-perfect-mega-stable-with-all-desired-features-implemeted? IMHO if
> somebody wants to  spare his time and skills working on freebsd, he should choose
> more useful direction for his mights and power. For example, take a look
> at all these PRs...

1) It is far from a stupid idea if even one person honestly feels it
would be a benefit.  No need to be abusive about it.

2) If I were to choose to work on FreeBSD, I would be free to work on
whatever I felt was lacking.  That's how it works.  Especially given
that I have nowhere near enough skill in C to work on more complex
system-level issues.

3) I was merely making suggestions as to what alternatives were
available.  Since almost every Linux distro does something similar to
this proposal, there is obviously SOME merit to it; the benefit may be
miniscule, or irrelevant to many people, but it still exists.

--Mike