boot banner project

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Wed Apr 27 14:26:42 PDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 03:03:06PM -0400 I heard the voice of
Mike Edenfield, and lo! it spake thus:

> One possible alternative to an all-out graphics display would be a
> 'prettified' text console.  I'm thinking of what Gentoo and older RedHat
> systems did (haven't used RH in years, dunno if this still applies)
> where about 80% of the system log messages are hidden behind a simple
> task list:
>
> Mounting File Systems ... [ok]
> Starting xl0          ... [ok]

This is something I've always found somewhat ironic, actually.  I'm
not really sure overall whether I like it or not, but it IS very
structured and consistent.  The irony is that I find the Linux kernel
bootup messages to be an insane mishmash that I can never sort
ANYTHING out of, relative to FreeBSD's very neat and structured kernel
probes.  So maybe an OS is only allowed to be neat in one of the two
8-}

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net