boot banner project

Mike Edenfield kutulu at kutulu.org
Wed Apr 27 12:03:10 PDT 2005

Scott Long wrote:

> Is it possible to do this without having to switch to an entirely
> raster-based console?  Raster consoles (like what SuSE uses) have
> been discussed in the past, and the common thinking is that the
> loss in reliability and loss in speed is a significant issue to
> consider.

One possible alternative to an all-out graphics display would be a
'prettified' text console.  I'm thinking of what Gentoo and older RedHat
systems did (haven't used RH in years, dunno if this still applies)
where about 80% of the system log messages are hidden behind a simple
task list:

Mounting File Systems ... [ok]
Starting xl0          ... [ok]

etc.  With, of course, the obligatory cyan, magenta, and bright green
colors.  While partly eye candy, I find it much easier to deal with than
the free-form scrolling you currently get on FreeBSD.  There's
definitely a different boot-message requirement between a headless
server, headed (?) server, novice user desktop, advanced user desktop,
etc.  Currently FreeBSD only gives you three options: Static Graphic,
Verbose Messages, or *REALLY* Verbose Messages.

My only concern is that the console output, if I have any clue what I'm
talking about, are not centralized anywhere that could be easily
modified based on a setting.  Is this correct?

--Mike