FreeBSD 5.4 RC3 failure on Gateway ALR 7200R.

marek gartrend gartrend at area51.capnet.state.tx.us
Tue Apr 19 21:06:01 PDT 2005

I tried to load 5.4-RC3 (please redirect me to the correct list
if this isn't the one) on a Gateway ALR 7200R, dual processor
400MHz Pentium II.

The normal boot from the CD would not boot, stopping at the
agp0: <Intel . . . > line.

I booted to safe mode and installed from there.  When I boot
it stops at:

  agp0: <Intel 82443BX (440BX) host to PCI bridge> at device 1.0 on pci0

in safe bood mode, the next line is:

  pcib1: <PCI-PCI bridge> at device 1.0 on pci0

If I boot with extra logging, it ends with:

  agp0: <Intel 82443BX (440BX) host to PCI bridge> at device 1.0 on pci0
  agp0: Lazy allocation of 0x4000000 bytes rid 0x10 type 3 at 0
  agp0: allocating GATT for aperture size of 64M
[nothing more]

I tried setting ACPI off (cause it was the only thing I know how to
do) with:

  hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"

in loader.conf (I also tried putting it in device.hints) but that made
no difference.  Is this machine a no-go?

garth