Serial console install

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Thu Apr 7 05:43:10 PDT 2005

Sławek Żak wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2005 1:50 PM, Eric Anderson <anderson at centtech.com> wrote:
>

>>You must have missed the second link - it answers your questions
>
> completely.  You can >also build your own images with whatever setup
> you'd like, and/or have that image used via >PXE install.
>
> So the options I have are:
>
> 1. Boot from CDROM with keyboard plugged in, wait for the beep and
> press 6 blindfolded then enter boot -h.
> 2. Boot from floppy and flip the diskettes until the output is
> directed to the serial console.
> 3. Build my own PXE image.
>
> Doh. Lots of work. I was asking for a small and very helpful change in
> the boot loader. Floppies are so 1980's. Getting my butt to the server
> room and plugging the keyboard in is a little better, but still far
> from the convenience of putting the CD in and forgetting the problem.

You can make your own cd without too much trouble with all the right tweaks in it.

Now, I'm not saying this is the easiest solution - I'm just telling you what you can do *now*.  I really would love a console install method that was quick and dirty, and a better 'kickstart' kind of install, but I'm no coder, so I keep my mouth shut until I have either a damn good plan, or code.. :)

Eric