HEADSUP: ATA mkIII has been committed

Daniel Eriksson daniel_k_eriksson at telia.com
Fri Apr 1 04:42:55 PST 2005

Søren Schmidt wrote:

> As pr subject make world is needed to get things in sync again.
>
> Let me know is there are problems / success stories..

I just upgraded two of my servers, and both had some serious problems with
the new ATA code.

I keep both servers pretty much in sync, so these timestamps are for both of
them:
Good: 2005.03.25.02.00.00
Bad:  2005.04.01.07.30.00

On server #1 (SMP) I get a lot of "FAILURE - READ_DMA
status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=84<ICRC,ABORTED> LBA=9" during probing. On
server #2 (UP) the slave-discs on the RocketRAID 454 controller is simply
skipped during probing (no error messages, but the geom_stripe array they
are part of never gets activated of course since 3 of the 6 discs are
missing).

Here are the specs and the boot logs:

Server #1:
Tyan Tiger S2466N-4M (AMD 760MPX), dual AMD AthlonMP 2600+, latest BIOS,
ACPI enabled, onboard LAN disabled
Compaq Smart Array 5300 (ciss)
Intel PRO/1000 Dual Port (em)
2 x HighPoint RocketRAID 454 (atapci)
http://forumserver.zapto.org/SERV1_good.txt
http://forumserver.zapto.org/SERV1_bad.txt

Server #2:
ASUS A7V600-X (VIA KT600), AMD AthlonXP 2500+, latest BIOS, ACPI enabled,
onboard LAN enabled (vr)
Generic RealTek 8169 NIC (re)
HighPoint RocketRAID 454 (atapci)
Promise SATA150 TX4 (atapci)