6-cur doesn't find ad0p3 with MBR and GPT on the same disk

Emanuel Strobl emanuel.strobl at gmx.net
Fri Apr 1 02:24:12 PST 2005

Am Freitag, 1. April 2005 11:33 schrieb Andre Guibert de Bruet:
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Emanuel Strobl wrote:
> > I upgraded a experimenting box from 5.4 to 6 with the result that 6 can't
> > find my GPT slices.
> > The disk additionally contains an MBR for booting, I'm on x86...
> >
> > Is there any trick to convince 6 to accept GPT slices after mounting root
> > from the same disk, traditonally from ad0s1a, so I can continue mounting
> > /usr a.s.o. which are on ad0p3?
> >
> > With the old 5.4 kernel it was no problem, but userland is already
> > -current so I cannot login anymore :(
>
> Just as a wild guess, this could possibly be related to the ata-mkIII

I'm quiet sure that it hasn't anything to do with ATA, I used ata-mkIII before
on RELENG_5 on that mixed MBR/GPT box.

[...]
> This might be too little too late, but following the "safe upgrade steps"
> in src/UPDATING would have prevented this situation (You really should

Well, it was one of my testboxes, although I haven't expected the upgrade to
disable the box it's not that problem. The problem is that I want to have
-current on it without changing my disk layout, booting from MBR label and
having everything else on GPT slices. 8 labels per slice are not enough on
that testbox!
And every GPT partition holds more or less important data....
And I need current to test it, whether it is stable enough to run my webserver
since I need nullfs at sensible performance, which RELENG_5 doesn't provide
And if it fits my needs. this box will act as PXE installer... Hmm, it's more
important than I thought....

Thanks,

-Harry