unable to install beta6 [amd64] on Dell 2850 with 4 GB RAM,workaround

Scott Long scottl at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 30 09:04:42 PDT 2004

Claus Guttesen wrote:
>>The AMR driver cannot handle >4GB of RAM.  Even
>>though you only have
>>4GB, your chipset is remapping part of it to the
>>
>>>4GB region.  The
>>
>>driver incorrectly interfaces with busdma and cannot
>>handle this
>>scenario very well.  The panic is to be expected.
>>You can verify
>>this by setting the tunable 'hw.physmem' in the
>>loader to some
>>value under 4GB to artifically limit the amount of
>>RAM that the OS
>>sees.
>

> Added hw.physmem=4G to /boot/loader.conf and it seems
> to solve the issue. Dmesg now tells me that I have
>
> real memory  = 3489398784 (3327 MB)
> avail memory = 3367739392 (3211 MB)
>
> It seems that it does ignore some RAM, but is this the
> correct behaviour?
>
> Without hw.physmem I get
>
> real memory  = 5100273664 (4864 MB)
> avail memory = 4125847552 (3934 MB)
>
> So it appears to perform an incorrect probing of
> memory.
>
> Thank you.
> Claus

That's not always the case.  The system might be excluding a large
part of the address space for some reason and mapping the RAM around
it.  Can you send a verbose dmesg to me in private?

Scott