Shuttle ST61G4 hanging during boot with Hitachi 7K250 sata and Sil 3512.

Ruben van Staveren ruben at verweg.com
Wed Sep 29 05:27:44 PDT 2004

Hi,

I've currently lingering around here a shuttle ST61G4 bare bone, and decided to
give the FreeBSD 5.3 beta6 iso a try. It is equipped with a NEC ND-3500A and a
Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 (160 GB, SATA flavour).

Kernel startup just goes fine up until it arrives at the sata disc. It just
hangs there with the following line:

ata2-master: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=4<ABORTED> LBA=0

What does this error message exactly mean ?

The controller is probed as a atapci1: <Sil 3512 SATA150 controller> which is
just right. I tried different combinations of ata and sata headers, but only
when disconnecting the sata disc gets me to the install screen. (but of course
no disc to install to then)

I also made sure the drive cables are not to close to either the CPU and GPU.

Cheers,
	Ruben