Laptop recommendations?

Colin Percival cperciva at wadham.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 27 04:40:00 PDT 2004

Josef Karthauser wrote:
> My Dell Inspiron 5000e is getting a bit long in the tooth, and the
> keyboard has just packed in :( so I'm in the market for a new laptop.
> Does anyone have any recommendations for me?  In particular I want a
> working ACPI/suspend interface and this Dell has never been supported
> well - fans on all the time, doesn't resume properly, etc.

The only problems I've had with my 600m / D600 are:
1. Upon resuming from S1, moused is confused and needs to be restarted;
2. The S3 sleep state is mis-implemented as "reboot"; and
3. The S4 sleep state doesn't exist.

Fans work perfectly, acpi_video can control the display properly, and S1
works fine apart from the mouse problem.

Colin Percival