5.3-BETA5-i386-disc1 bootstrap failures

David Syphers dsyphers at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 24 01:32:26 PDT 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 12:59 am, David Syphers wrote:
> The list has been quiet about this, so I assume it's a rare problem. But
> I've got a couple questions about it. First, does anyone have any idea
> what's actually wrong? My computer is running -CURRENT from August 3 fine.
> (I don't have APIC in that kernel.) Anything having to do with ACPI is
> default. My computer is some generic HP, not quite three years old. More
> info available if it would help.

I just did one simple test I should have done first - it's APIC that's the
problem. Booting with ACPI disabled panics (even earlier than with nothing
disabled), but booting with hint.apic.0.disabled="1" gets me to the
installation screen. I thought this would be the case, as I currently run
ACPI with no problems.

I actually have no idea what APIC is. I assume it's okay if I install with
that hint set, and then just compile a custom kernel with no APIC? But since
it's in GENERIC, I really don't think it should be panicking...

-David

--
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please
Reinstall Universe And Reboot. +++