de0 driver bug

Andrew Wiles adw at jara23.co.uk
Mon Sep 13 16:28:40 PDT 2004

There seems to be an issue with de0 driver in 5.3-BETA4
The problem seems to be the driver doesn't allow traffic, or minimal
traffic at best unless it is set in promiscious mode.
Initially I thought it may have been a problem with my firewall ruleset
but as they hadn't changed since I upgraded from 5.2.1-p9 I doubted it.

To test if my firewall was blocking the traffic i used tcpdump which
instantly brought the interface and traffic to life, upon terminating
tcpdump all traffic ceased.
putting the interface into promisious mode using ifconfig de0 promisc
instantly resumed the flow of traffic.

If any more information is needed about my configuration or any further
details are required I can provide them on request.

Andrew D Wiles.