Wine and mmap

Brian Fundakowski Feldman green at freebsd.org
Sat Sep 11 14:26:11 PDT 2004

On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 05:07:13PM -0400, Anish Mistry wrote:
> On Saturday 11 September 2004 02:00 pm, you wrote:

> > > Well I guess this is my lucky day.  Apply the attached patch for vm_mmap
> > > to your kernel and patch the August wine sources with the wine-mmap.patch
> > > and compile and install wine (be sure to use gmake).  This is working on
> > > my dev system with 6-CURRENT as of Saturday night.
> > > The wine mmap patch just doesn't reserve the DOS area so DOS programs may
> > > not work.  This seems to just work around a side effect of the kernel
> > > mmap patch. I still think that the kernel mmap patch has issues so I'm
> > > hoping Alan can give us some feedback.
> > > Anyway this worked for me, YMMV.
> >
> > Do these combined work for you, minus any modifications to mmap(2)?  I do
> > not feel that the kernel mmap(2) should be modified in this manner, that it
> > is a strictly userland problem.
> >
> With only these applied I get old message that wine can't mmap it's address
> space.

Oh, I'm sorry for not explaining the last step.  You need to set the
environment variable "LD_LIBRARY_LOW_ADDR" to some address, like after
the first megabyte, or something like that, but before the first "data"
address.  Try, say, 1024000.

  <> green at FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \