poor ATA disk speed with ICH2

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Fri Sep 10 06:11:09 PDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 11:38:03AM +0200, Angelo Turetta wrote:
> [...]

Very rarely *if* there is sufficient cooling - if the disk becomes too
warm it is needed.
One harddisk I have was not only quite loud, but also slower than it
ought to have been. After I installed an extra fan in the case blowing
air directly at the disk, it not only became much quieter, but also
noticeable faster. (The airflow around the disk was fairly bad before
that.)  I assume that the extra noise and slowness was simply thermal
recalibration trying to compensate for the disk being somewhat
overheated.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson