Problems applying Mat's MIDI test patch

Mathew Kanner mat at cnd.mcgill.ca
Tue Sep 7 09:06:06 PDT 2004

On Sep 07, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:07:28 -0500
> From: "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads at cox.net>
> To: Mathew Kanner <mat at cnd.mcgill.ca>
> Subject: Re: MIDI test patch
>

> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:03:01 -0500
> "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads at cox.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm, very strange.  I just noticed that when I did the following:
> >
> > cd /usr/src
> > patch < ~conrads/midi2-patch-aug22.diff
> >
> > Some of the patches seem to be applying in the wrong directories.  I
> > ended up with Makefile.orig and Makefile.rej, as well as several *.c
> > and*.h and *.m files, in the top-level /usr/src directory.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong here?
>
> I notice some of the diffs are against "/dev/null".  These seem to be
> the files that are ending up in /usr/src.  For instance:
>
> --- /dev/null   Sun Aug 22 22:22:01 2004
> +++ sys/dev/sound/midi/mpu_if.m Sun Aug 22 16:12:00 2004
>
> OK, obviously, some of the patches are creating entirely new files, but
> they're not being created in the correct locations.  For instance, the
> mpu_if.m file in this particular hunk is winding up in /usr/src.
>
> Was the patch simply not created properly, or is there an option to
> "patch" that will take care of this case?

	Hi Conrad,
	Sorry I missed your message.  I just did a checkout and then
cd /top level of source/
bunzip2 -c ~/midi2-patch-aug22.diff.bz2  | patch -p0

	And it worked out for me.  Maybe your aren't using the -p0
(I'm not sure what the problem is).

	Please try again, and let me know.  I'm leaving to go
camping for a few days so I might take some time for a reply.

	--Mat

--
	Having your book made into a movie is like having your ox
	made into a bouillon cube.