Problems applying Mat's MIDI test patch

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Tue Sep 7 07:28:40 PDT 2004

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:07:28 -0500
From: "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads at cox.net>
To: Mathew Kanner <mat at cnd.mcgill.ca>
Subject: Re: MIDI test patch

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:03:01 -0500
"Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads at cox.net> wrote:

> Hmmm, very strange.  I just noticed that when I did the following:
>
> cd /usr/src
> patch < ~conrads/midi2-patch-aug22.diff
>
> Some of the patches seem to be applying in the wrong directories.  I
> ended up with Makefile.orig and Makefile.rej, as well as several *.c
> and*.h and *.m files, in the top-level /usr/src directory.
>
> Am I doing something wrong here?

I notice some of the diffs are against "/dev/null".  These seem to be
the files that are ending up in /usr/src.  For instance:

--- /dev/null   Sun Aug 22 22:22:01 2004
+++ sys/dev/sound/midi/mpu_if.m Sun Aug 22 16:12:00 2004

OK, obviously, some of the patches are creating entirely new files, but
they're not being created in the correct locations.  For instance, the
mpu_if.m file in this particular hunk is winding up in /usr/src.

Was the patch simply not created properly, or is there an option to
"patch" that will take care of this case?

Thanks.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"