if_re locking patch...

Chris Pepper pepper at reppep.com
Mon Sep 6 20:32:43 PDT 2004

At 10:52 AM -0700 2004/08/25, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>To expand upon the patch posted previously, I have cribbed bms's rl
>locking, and ported it to re.  This makes the interrupt MPSAFE along
>with the rest of the driver.  No more GIANT LOCKED messages for re. :)
>
>Right now I'm doing some testing, and so far I've been able to transfer
>over 3gig's of data w/o any problems.
>
>So, please test the patch and let me know how it goes:
>http://people.FreeBSD.org/~jmg/if_re.diff

	My Asante-branded 8169 no longer generates LOR warnings at
boot under RELENG_5 from September 3rd, so thanks!

>re0 at pci1:10:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x816910ec chip=0x816910ec
>rev=0x10 hdr=0x00
>     vendor   = 'Realtek Semiconductor'
>     device   = 'RTL8169 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter'
>     class    = network
>     subclass = ethernet

	Unfortunately "make buildkernel" fails on if_re with
DEVICE_POLLING, which should work according to polling.4.

http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/guest/make-buildkernel-re-failure-2.txt

						Regards,

						Chris Pepper
--