ATA DVD playback hanging in physrd

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Sep 1 13:23:21 PDT 2004

Nate,

By the way, as of the moment, almost everything on my T30 for S3
suspend/resume is working correctly. I can suspend and resume repeatedly
with no problem except for the failure of the ICH3/AD1881A sound device
to properly re-initialize. It worked for about a week when Warner first
put in the PCI power stuff, but it never worked again after he backed
out the initial attempt and re-committed stuff bit by bit over time.

I assume that this is really a PCI issue and not really ACPI. I'll
remind Warner of the problem some day after 5.3 is released and the
ensuing confusion fades.

Still, this is a major improvement as the system is generally usable
after a suspend. Just no listen-able music. :-(

Thanks for all of the efforts on making ACPI work on the morass of
buggy, uncomplete, and just plain obstinate implementations out there.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)