EHCI considered harmful?

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Fri Oct 29 11:03:01 PDT 2004

On Friday, 29. October 2004 19:47, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> At 01:30 PM 29/10/2004, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > > On my Intel 865 box, its pretty easy for me to lock the system up with
> > > 2 different types of USB key drives (Lexar and SANDISK). The system
> > > also sporadically locks up at boot time, if I have a Keyspan USB-Serial
> > > device plugged in using EHCI.  For new users, I think its more
> > > important that the system works.
> >
> >There are similar issues all over USB in FreeBSD, that's not a good
> > rationale to leave ehci out of GENERIC.
>
> With the base USB ?  Regular USB works just fine for me on the same
> hardware.

USB 2.0 is hardly off-base or irregular. Just the fact that you're making this
distinction tells me that ehci support on FreeBSD is getting not enough
exposure. I'm afraid if it'll remain hidden like it is now, it'll never get
into any decent shape.

> Can you quantify what you mean by similar ?

There is one rather recent PR about a crash with a 1.1 device (PR 63621), a
"Detaching USB stick crashes BETA4/BETA5" thread about one month ago and
searching -CURRENT for mails with "usb" subject lines turns up an awful lot
of issues, bugs, hangs, crashes, you name it, pretty much all of them on 1.1
hardware.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org