EHCI considered harmful?

Jose M Rodriguez josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es
Fri Oct 29 06:30:29 PDT 2004

El Viernes, 29 de Octubre de 2004 15:11, Michael Nottebrock escribió:
> On Friday, 29. October 2004 10:08, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 09:59:30AM +0200, Thomas E. Zander wrote:
> > > I'm just wondering why ehci doesn't make it into GENERIC for
> > > RELENG_5. Are there unresolved show stoppers related to it?
> >
> > ehci(4) is not stable code and fails reproducibly with my ALi-based
> > USB2 disk enclosure.
>
> Well, if we would take stability and general usefulness (even more so
> in comparison to other USB implementations in mind) as the reference
> point, we would need to disable most of USB. I think enabling ehci in
> GENERIC would be a good idea, especially since there's no loadable
> module...

from RELENG_5_3

src/sys/modules/usb:
# $FreeBSD: src/sys/modules/usb/Makefile,v 1.15 2004/07/12 21:59:06 imp
Exp $
[ ... ]

SRCS+=  uhci_pci.c uhci.c uhcireg.h uhcivar.h
SRCS+=  ohci_pci.c ohci.c ohcireg.h ohcivar.h
SRCS+=  ehci_pci.c ehci.c ehcireg.h ehcivar.h
SRCS+=  opt_bus.h pci_if.h

.include <bsd.kmod.mk>

so the usb module is ready for ehci.

In fact, I use to take-off any udb support form kernel and go only with
modules.

--
  josemi