growfs - Using on mounten FS - planned?- TWE probs..

Andreas Braukmann braukmann at tse-online.de
Wed Oct 27 23:19:37 PDT 2004

--On Mittwoch, 27. Oktober 2004 15:12 Uhr -0700 Julian Elischer <julian at elischer.org> wrote:
> Andreas Braukmann wrote:
>> --On Mittwoch, 27. Oktober 2004 13:00 Uhr -0700 Julian Elischer
>> <julian at elischer.org> wrote:
>>

>> twe(4) and a bunch of big S-ATA drives in RAID-5 configuration.
>> Nothing really impressive nowadays.

Sorry, for the new boxes I've meant twa(4), of course. Sorry for
this very misleading information.

> I'm having infrequent corruption problems with 3ware 7500-8 cards .

hmmm. 7500. The 72xx and 7500 series didn't fulfill my expectations
concerning RAID-5 performance. I employed them only in RAID 10 confi-
gurations. The 7506 series was (IMHO) the first 3Ware device delive-
ring a usable RAID-5 implementation.

> do you check your data?

yes, regularly.

> We store GB sized files and we checksum them and we check the checksums over time....
> Over 7 servers we see a couple of file drop chunks of data over a weeks worth
> of writing..  either 128KB chunks are not written or the chunk corresponding to
> 1 drive's part of a 128KB write never happens.  Some of them are defintly firmware
> problems but some of them might be driver or OS problems too (or firmware).

I can't reproduce this on 7506-8 / RAID-5 / 64 kB stripe size. Just
don't bother with non default stripe size on the 3Ware's; the per-
formance will suck and its prone to obscure (read: not so widely ex-
posed) firmware bugs.

> This is with 4.8 + the driver from their website.. and the driver from 4.10

stock twe(4) from RELENG_4 (shortly after 4.8 or 4.10) and 5.1-current
(end of september 2003).

-Andreas