growfs - Using on mounten FS - planned?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Oct 27 10:53:37 PDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 07:45:51PM +0200, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about the design for a new webserver system, which would have
> 4 users. I came to the conclusion that it would be nice to have several
> different File-Systems like /usr/local/www, /usr/local/mysql, /usr/home
> (with quota) and so on.
> I thought it would be a good idea just to give them the space they
> actually will need + some free space. Because I know AIX I thought it
> would be easy to just grow a FS if more space is needed.
> But now I read growfs(8), and it is only possible to grow an unmounted
> filesystem which is bad for /usr (for example), and not nice at all.
> Are there any plans to make it work with mounted Filesystems?

I don't think so; do it from single-user mode instead.  Also note that
you can only grow into contiguous space, so if you have multiple
filesystems on the disk that you want to grow later, you have to
preallocate space in which to grow them (i.e. space them apart on the
disk) -- so you might as well just allocate the space to the FS to
begin with.

Kris