Weirdness in RELENG_5 on amd64

Eirik Oeverby ltning at anduin.net
Thu Oct 21 03:02:56 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 11:58 +0200, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> Eirik Oeverby wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > my dual Opteron server is experiencing strange problems; the same I've
> > been seeing since I installed it back in May. After a bit of uptime
> > (varies between 1-2 days and a month or two, depending on the kernel
> > release I am running) it will start acting up (if I'm lucky) or simply
> > panic. I have no panic message dump, since the box is very far away and
> > last time it paniced I had no serial console.
>
> Sounds a little like the trouble I had with my dual opteron system when I was
> still running it on an MSI board. The main problem here seems to be the VIA
> chipset.

This is a Tyan S2882 board - K8S Pro I believe, with an AMD chipset.

> You are not running this hardware, are you? Otherwise strongly I suggest
> changing it. I swapped it for Tyan Tiger, and no more of these problems since.

Well, they are still there ;)
Built a new kernel today, as I see a number of issues were resolved in
RC1, however I want to wait for the next crash - if/when it happens. It
is possible I could get some useful info out of it.

No clue about the serial console questions I had?

/Eirik