NFS trouble

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 11 14:48:30 PDT 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Benjamin Lutz wrote:

> Nothing gets logged on the server, the client logs this repeatedly:
>   nfs server uno:/var/www/localhost: not responding
>
> Forcibly unmounting the share works and seems to unfreeze the frozen
> applications.
>
> This behaviour is new. I cannot say when exactly I've first seen this,
> but I think it must have appeared somewhere between BETA5 and BETA7.
>
> What can I do to make NFS work more reliably again?

When you're experiencing this problem, can the NFS client ping the NFS
server?  Are other NFS clients able to continue to access the NFS server
without problems?  It might be interesting to use tcpdump to see if the
client stops sending RPCs or not, and if not, whether the server responds
to them.   If you set debug.mpsafenet=0 in loader.conf, does the problem
go away?  Also, finally, what ethernet device(s) are you using, and are
there any notes about those devices in the dmesg output?

Thanks,

robert at fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research