Noticable Delays Since Beta 3

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Thu Oct 7 10:15:43 PDT 2004

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Benjamin Close wrote:

>     I've been using each Beta Release as they come out and ever since
> Beta 3 I've noticed delays where there never used to be any.
> I believe this may be somehow related to ULE->BSD scheduler change. A
> classic situation of where they now exist is when I switch virtual
> desktops back to another xterm. It takes 4-5 seconds before I can type.
> The machine is virtually 100% idle. Before beta3 this was not a problem
> with almost an instant response.

Can you provide a reproduction case? I don't notice any sort of delay when
switching between text vtys, or changing keyboard focus in X. I've been
using 4BSD the entire time.

Are you switching between X and text vty's? There's always been a delay
there, worse on my amd64 box than i386, but I don't do that regularly;
much easier to just pop another xterm :)