build/install RELENG_5 from a 4.10 system

Michael C. Cambria mcc at
Thu Oct 7 06:50:42 PDT 2004

Jason C. Wells wrote:

> --On Wednesday, October 06, 2004 5:46 PM -0400 "Michael C. Cambria"
> <mcc at> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Is it possible to build a RELENG_5 system on a 4.10 system?
> The others have told you that such things are possible.

Thanks to all for the help.  I stopped reading UPDATING when I found
entries I've seem from 4.x.

> I would advise
> less adventurous souls to perform a binary upgrade when updating major
> version numbers.  I did the upgrades from 2-3 and 3-4 in both ways and
> the binary upgrade was always easier.  I have yet to upgrade from 4-5.
> The 5X UPDATING file is the single scariest FreeBSD document I have ever
> read. UPDATING made me muss my drawers it was so scary.  Don't do
> scary!  Don't muss your drawers!
> Once you get a booting system, you can sup and make world to RELENG_5.

I'm assuming (having not yet read UPDATING) that using DESTDIR &
MAKEOBJDIEPREFIX should allow one to screw up a few times without the
need to hit the Laundromat :-)

Michael C. Cambria

email : mcc at
  VoIP : sip:mcc at