build/install RELENG_5 from a 4.10 system

Jason C. Wells jcw at highperformance.net
Wed Oct 6 21:25:46 PDT 2004

--On Wednesday, October 06, 2004 5:46 PM -0400 "Michael C. Cambria"
<mcc at fid4.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to build a RELENG_5 system on a 4.10 system?

The others have told you that such things are possible.  I would advise
less adventurous souls to perform a binary upgrade when updating major
version numbers.  I did the upgrades from 2-3 and 3-4 in both ways and the
binary upgrade was always easier.  I have yet to upgrade from 4-5. The 5X
UPDATING file is the single scariest FreeBSD document I have ever read.
UPDATING made me muss my drawers it was so scary.  Don't do scary!  Don't
muss your drawers!

Once you get a booting system, you can sup and make world to RELENG_5.

Later,
Jason C. Wells